The Mulberry Poets & Writers Association (MPWA) announces its Eighth Annual Regional Poetry Contest:
- The overall winner of the contest will receive a $100 cash prize.
- Two other winners will share $75 in cash prizes -- $50 for 2nd place and $25 for 3rd place.
- Several poets will be recognized with an Honorable Mention.
- Judges will be Tara Shoemaker Holdren, Dr. David Elliott, and Susan Jaffer.
- All winners will be invited to present their poetry at a public reading on or about Saturday, July 11, 2009, in Scranton, PA.
- All winning poems will be published in the 2009 online edition of The MPWA Journal.
- For further information, contact the contest coordinator, Richard Aston of Wilkes-Barre, at 570-829-3163 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contest Rules: Open to former and current residents of Northeastern Pennsylvania, except for MPWA Board members and previous first place winners.
- Each entrant is limited to a maximum of three poems.
- The entrance fee is $2 for each poem submitted.
- An individual may win in only one of the first, second, or third place categories.
- If more than one of his or her poems rank in a winning category, only the highest will be counted for that person.
- Each poem must be original and unpublished.
- Each poem should be typed on a 8½ x 11" paper, single spaced, except for intentional spacing.
- Each new poem should start on a new sheet of paper.
- If it exceeds one page, please staple the pages together.
- Each poem should take a maximum of 3 pages.
- List the title(s) of your poem(s) in a cover letter including your name address, email, and phone.
- If untitled, use the first several words.
- Do not put your name on the poem.
- Keep a copy of your poem; submitted poems will not be returned.
Send submissions to: MPWA Poetry Contest; P.O. Box 468; Scranton, PA 18501.
- The contest postmark deadline is March 30, 2009.
- Winners will be notified by June 1, 2009.